The brief description of the product on the download page describes it as: Documentation compilers for managed class libraries Enabling managed class library developers throughout the world to easily create accurate, informative documentation with a common look and feel.
This is great description, so what is it?
Sandcastle a command line application designed to generate "MDSN style" documentation from .NET assemblies by using XML Documentation Comments. The product works with or without XML Comments in your code.
You can produce three types of documentation with the product:
CHM (Help 1.0) Format
HxS (Help 2.0) Format
The product can produce the documentation using three different types of "themes"
VS2005 - VS2005 documentation
Running your first Sandcastle example
1. Open a command prompt (as an administrator on Vista)
2. Navigate to your Sandcastle example directory (C:\Program Files\Sandcastle\Examples by default)
3. Run the setPath batch file (sets path for the command window)
4. Open the Sandcastle sub folder
5. build_sandcastle vs2005 test.dll
6. Review the result in the sub folder "Output"
The product currently only supports the 2.0 framework, and .NET versions that compile on it.
Interested? Download it here: Sandcastle - Version 2.4.10520